News — July 14, 2017 at 6:03 am

Bronx gunfight that left 4-year-old girl wounded was sparked by disagreement over Medicaid fraud scam


One of the bullets from the gunfight shattered the glass of a Kennedy Fried Chicken half a block away.

The wild Bronx gunfight that left two shooters and a 4-year-old girl wounded began with an argument over a Medicaid fraud scam, police sources said Thursday.

Gunmen James Thomas, 57, who is on lifetime parole for a 1983 murder, and Frederick Fielder, 33, were conspiring to defraud Medicaid when they began disagreeing on the execution of the scam, sources said.

Thomas, Fielder and several others in the scam agreed to hash out their differences on E. 167th St., near Webster Ave. in Morrisania, about 11:45 a.m. Wednesday when bullets started flying.

Police sources said a third gunman, identified only as Mohammed, shot at Fielder, who was struck in the leg.

Cops taped off the area where a wild gunfight broke out in the Bronx on Wednesday.

Fielder, in turn, retreated to his vehicle, grabbed a gun and shot at Thomas, who was hit in the back.

As the bullets started flying, one hit 4-year-old Calsie Bollock, who suffered a graze wound to her back.

Calsie is Fielder’s girlfriend’s daughter, police sources said.

Local merchants saw the two groups arguing — then scattered for cover when guns were drawn.

Jessie Tompkins points to glass that was shattered when bullets started flying on E. 167th St., near Webster Ave.

“They were arguing for like 30 minutes in front of the pawn shop,” said one merchant, who wished not to be named. “One of them pulled out a gun and then the other one pulled out a gun and I saw the other one start shooting towards Webster.

"An old man was hurt because he dropped to the floor of the pawn shop,” the witness said.

Fielder, Thomas and little Calsie managed to get to the hospital on their own before police reached the scene.

Up to 17 shots were fired, NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said Wednesday.

Cops were on the scene on Wednesday collecting evidence.

After interviewing two victims, detectives charged Fielder and Thomas with assault, weapons possession and reckless endangerment, authorities said.

Thomas was convicted of murder and manslaughter in 1988 for a Harlem murder he participated in in 1983.

He was released in January of 2014 and is on lifetime parole, according to court documents.

Residents said the shooting was frighteningly similar to an incident in June, where a 5-year-old Bronx boy was shot in the head.

Cops arrested the shooter, but little Jaheem Hunter has a long road to recovery ahead, family members said.

"We had a 5-year-old shot not far from here and now we’ve got a 4-year-old shot in the back — another innocent bystander," community advocate Tony Herbert said at the scene Wednesday night. "Guns are going off at a rampant rate in our community and, no matter what our mayor says, at the end of the day crime is not down."

Comments are closed.